|Course Code : CTROB 300||Source : CresTech
||Course Length : 2 days|
This course is designed to familiarize testing professionals with the basics of Rational's functional test automation tool, Rational Robot. Students will be provided with hands-on instruction, from simple record/playback techniques to advanced test scripting concepts. Rational TestManager will be used to organize and process test results to facilitate data analysis. The focus will be on applying Rational Robot to resolve common automated testing challenges and to build effective, versatile test scripts through best practices and savvy usage of SQABasic code. At the conclusion of this module, principles learned will be applied to a .NET-based sample application.
Further this course gives students a foundation in the SQABasic scripting language and automated testing techniques. Learn to create test scripts that are more robust, durable and easier to maintain. The course includes lecture, workbook exercises and labs.
The advanced module is designed to give students a foundation in the SQABasic scripting language and automated testing techniques. Learn to create test scripts that are more robust, durable and easier to maintain. This module includes lecture, workbook exercises and labs.
• New Rational Robot, TeamTest, TestStudio, or Enterprise users. The principles taught in this course
apply to all environments that Robot supports. The course is designed primarily for Quality
Assurance professionals who will be using the automation tools.
• The audience might also include QA practitioners, managers, or team leaders who are responsible for
interacting with testers or who need to ensure that tools are being implemented fully and
At the end of the course, you will be able to:
• Describe the function and purpose of Rational Robot.
• Navigate the Rational Robot interface.
• Apply good scripting practices.
• Record and play back automated scripts.
• Use Verification Points in an appropriate context.
• Modify scripts to extend test capability and reduce script maintenance.
• Create data-driven tests
You must have a solid understanding of:
• Microsoft Windows operating systems
• Microsoft Windows applications
Be familiar with the following:
• Quality Assurance processes
• Programming principles and techniques
• Benefits of using Rational Robot to automate tests
• Test script development process
• Contents of a Rational Project and test datastore
• Recording, debugging, and playing back techniques
• Setting the record and playback options for Rational Robot
• Developing and executing shell scripts
• Inserting verification points and wait states to ensure test script reliability and validity
• Regression testing using existing Rational Robot test scripts
• Using the test log and verification point comparators to investigate and analyze test results
• Using SQABasic to edit test scripts to extend their functionality and reduce maintenance
• Creating custom verification points
• Using datapools and data files
• Testing a .NET application
• Variables: declaration, datatypes, scope
• Operators: mathematical, logical, string
• Object Scripting - Terminology, meaning, common commands, types of properties, return values
• Control Flow Structures: if¦then¦end if and select case statements; loops (for next while doloop)
• Use of Dialog and Input Boxes
• User-defined functions and sub procedures; header, source, library and template files
• Dynamic Verification Points
• Robot Debugger
• String manipulation
• Arrays: static and dynamic; single and multidimensional
• Data handling techniques and routines
• Files: creating, reading from, writing to
• Database access through SQL calls
• COM object creation
• Web Testing